Moronic Musings

VAGUELY ENTERTAINING AND OCCASIONALLY INSIGHTFUL OBSERVATIONS ON LIFE...
and other junk as it occurs to me.


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

ADD 575

My friend Steve just published a post on his blog featuring poetry he'd written.  It was pretty good stuff too; you can see it here.  He got me to thinking that I hadn't posted any of my own poetry, but then I followed that thought process to its logical conclusion: my poetry was pretty sad.  So I decided to try something different: I decided to combine my appreciation for haiku and my ADD pathology and write six haikus, off-the-cuff.  So here they are, still a steamy 98.6 degrees, fresh out of my brain.  Hopefully, you won't think they came from somewhere else.  I call them "ADD 575."  I hope you enjoy them.  Pardon the font; I thought it contributed nicely to give the reader the jumbled feeling we ADD-ers often have.





What is A.D.D.?
Like listening to ten songs
All at the same time.
---------- 
They say I have a
deficit of attention;
They should say surfeit.
---------- 
I read paragraphs.
And then I read them again.
Life with A.D.D.
----------
Unrequited love
Never had anything on
an underfed mind.
 ----------
Self-medicated,
my substances of choice were
flesh and emotion.
 ----------
I used to wonder
if I could have been something.
I now know… I am.

3 comments:

  1. Evocative, my friend. And sad poetry has worked for a few - Emily Dickinson and Sylvia Plath come to mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dickinson and Plath? Wow, I didn't know it was that dark.

    ReplyDelete